+353 (0) 63 91300 reception@ballyhoura.org
Lough Gur New Church – Lough Gur

Lough Gur New Church – Lough Gur

New Church replaced an older chapel which was used by the Earls of Desmond. The present structure dates from 1679 a simple rectangular building. It was endowed with a chalice and patten which bear the inscription of The guift of the Right Honourable Rachel Countess...
Carraig Aille Hill – Lough Gur, Grange

Carraig Aille Hill – Lough Gur, Grange

This hill is located to the east of the lake and Knockadoon. Two stone ring-forts (cashels), along with associated hut sites, were discovered here. Occupation has been dated to the 8th-11th centuries AD. House foundations were discovered both within and outside the...
Grange Stone Circle – Lough Gur, Grange

Grange Stone Circle – Lough Gur, Grange

Located 300m west of Lough Gur is Grange, one of the most impressive stone circles in Ireland. Its near perfect shape, together with a posthole found in the very center of the enclosure, indicates that the circle was measured out from a central stake with a rope. The...