Roxborough (Irish: Baile an Ráistigh)
A townland in County Limerick, Ireland comprising some 24.02 km2. It lies to the south of the townlands of Ballysheedy and Routagh and to the east of the townland of Ballyclough. Its northern boundary, partially bounded by the Ballyclough River, lies some three kilometres to the south of the Limerick City boundary at Southill. The Limerick to Fedamore road (R511) bounds the west side of Roxborough.
Roxborough was historically part of the civil parish of Caheravally and the Barony of Clanwilliam and comprised 526 acres, two roads and five perches. Roxborough is in the Roman Catholic parish of Donoughmore and Knockea, which lies in the Diocese of Limerick. It is also part of the catchment area of South Liberties GAA Club.
Roxborough is designated as an district electoral division and contains the following townlands: Ashfort, Ballyclough, Ballysheedy West, Bohereen, Cahervally, Derrybeg, Friarstown, Greenhills, Lemonfield, Lickadoon, Lissanalta, Oatlands, Parkroe, Raheen, Rathuard, Rootiagh, Routagh, Roxborough and Toberyquin. The Roxborough Electoral Division had a population of 1,601 at the Census of Ireland 2011, consisting of 810 males and 791 females and represented a 0.2% decline from the 2006 census.
Roxborough graveyard has yet to be digitally surveyed on Historicgraves.com
Baile an Ráistigh translates as “Roche’s townland” and this name almost certainly derives from the Roche family who were associated with King James II. Dominic Roche was ennobled by the King and given large tracts of land in Cahervally, including what is now known as Roxborough. He took the title of Viscount Cahervalla.
During the Cromwellian Plantation, all of the Roche lands, including Roxborough, were confiscated and given to the Hollow Sword Blade Company, which, in spite of its name, was a bank. A Colonel Thomas Vereker of Cork purchased the land from the Hollow Sword Blade Company during the reign of Queen Anne and constructed Roxborough House. According to Spellissy, “he built his mansion in in a park laid out with canals, terraces and hedges, in the stiff Dutch fashion.” His son, Charles Vereker, was created Viscount Gort in 1817. The property was extensively rebuilt by a Major Vereker in 1832 for approximately £1200. It was placed on the market in June 1852 and again in June 1853, when it was possibly purchased by the McMurray family, who were certainly resident by 1862. In the 1870’s, John Ripley McMurray, Sub Lieutenant in the 12th Dragoon Guards, of Roxborough House, Limerick and Patrickswell is recorded as owning 1,931 acres in county Limerick. In 1879, its contents were auctioned and it eventually came into the hands of Alexander W. Shaw of The Shaw Bacon Company, Limerick.
Due to the extensive civil unrest of the period following the Acts of Union in 1800 and the Napoleonic Wars, many police barracks were constructed in the region and one was built at Power’s Cross in Roxborough in the 1830’s.