Doon is a village in east County Limerick close to the border of County Tipperary. It is also a parish in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. The village has important archaeological remains with eight ring forts located in the area.
The Parish of Doon (Dun Bleisce as Gaeilge) Co. Limerick is nestled in the East of the County close to the Tipperary border. The village and its surrounding area are steeped in history and has a strong, active community spirit. This page will give you a brief insight into the village.
Doon is a small hill country village located in east Limerick close to the border with County Tipperary. It is 28km east of Limerick City and 19km north of Tipperary Town. The village is also known as Dan Bleisce or An Dan
The village has a bank, post office, chemist, doctors surgery, newsagent, food takeaway and several shops and pubs. The village was the setting for the exploits of 18th century outlaw, Eamonn a’Chnoic (‘Ned of the Hills’) immortalised in Gaelic poetry.
DOON COMMUNITY PLAYGROUND
Boher Road, Doon, Co. Limerick.
The Doon Community Playground is a large play area with several state of the art play facilities for children of all ages including children with disabilities.
The play equipment includes a variety of play panels including panels for weather and time, horse rocker, sheep rocker, vertical rocker, basket swing, trim trails, rotating seat,roundabout, seesaw, toddler multi play unit, children multi play unit, cradle/ flat swings and 4 seat rocker.
The playground is open during daylight hours. There is seating and ample car parking available. Doon Community Council in association with Ballyhoura Development Ltd. have developed a community playground situated adjacent to the Community Centre.
COOGA COTTAGE SELF CATERING HOLIDAY COTTAGE
Cooga Cottage is Irish Tourist Board approved and registered.
Cooga, Doon, Co. Limerick.
Phone: +353 61 380557
Over 100 years old, Cooga Cottage is a beautiful well equipped cottage set in a large private landscaped garden – has recently been refurbished and offers an excellent standard of self-catering accommodation.
Situated on the outskirts of the village of Doon in County Limerick; within walking distance of the village shops and pubs. Ideal touring base for Bunratty Castle, Rock of Cashel, Cliffs of Moher, Ailwee Cave. Provides the comforts of modern living with the charm and character of a country cottage. It is perfect for a romantic break, a family holiday or simply just as a relaxing base for touring. Set in a large private landscaped garden in a country location yet close to all amenities. This beautiful well equipped cottage has recently been refurbished with much care and attention to every detail & offers an excellent standard of self-catering accommodation. Ideal all year round retreat.
Cooga Cottage offers plentiful parking at the side & rear of the cottage & the beautiful landscaped garden has garden furniture. The cottage has oiled fired central heating throughout. Cot, baby blankets & high chair available on request free of charge – please mention when booking.
Registered with Failte Ireland.
Meadowvale, Carrigmore, Doon, Co. Limerick.
Phone: +353 86 3122223
Carrigmore Farm Self-Catering accommodation is situated on the grounds of the Cummins farm which is 3 miles from Doon village in County Limerick. The building is south facing, tucked away in a peaceful courtyard of the farm, down a small lane which overlooks cattle grazing in the fields.
A welcome pack on arrival
Hair dryers, Towels and bed linen
High chair and cot/baby bed available on request
Electricity and oil central heating
Wood for both fireplaces
Private off-road parking
KILMOYLEN WOODS WALK
Doon, Co. Limerick.
DOON G.A.A. CLUB
Doon G.A.A. club is situated in the picturesque village of Doon, Co. Limerick. The club was founded in 1888. We are a member of the East Limerick G.A.A Division. The club currently has hurling teams at all grades from Under 8 to Senior grade including three adult hurling teams. We are twinned with Oola G.A.A. club with whom our members play Gaelic football.
Toher Road,Doon,Co. Limerick.
DIRECTIONS FROM LIMERICK CITY TO GAA PITCH
- Starting from Limerick City Centre, drive out the N24 Limerick to Tipperary Road for 15KM.
- Turn left onto the R505 at Grange Cross heading in the direction of Cappamore.
- After approximately 1.5KM make sure you stay right on this road staying on the R505 heading to Cappamore. This will be signposted.
- Continue on the R505 for 12KM going through the small village of Cappamore until you reach the town of Doon or DÃºn Bleisce.
- Turn right in the middle of the town onto the R507 and continue for a half a kilometer until you reach the hurling pitch which shall be on the left hand side of the road after the community centre
DOON YOUTH CLUB
Karate class in Doon, Co. Limerick.
Doon Youth Club, Doon, Co. Limerick
Phone: 061 380315
INTERESTING LANDMARKS & HISTORY IN THE PARISH OF DOON
THE SWEAT HOUSE
Just above Lacka, over a mile from the village of Doon can be seen a mound of rocks in a corner of a field. A small stream flows nearby. Today it looks an insignificant heap of stones, but in past times it served a very useful purpose. It was a “sweat house” which was used to cure Rheumatic Pains and other ills, before sauna baths and other devices were invented. It was a circular stone hut, five feet in diameter with a small doorway, two feet high. Rocks were heated in huge fires and placed in the hut and then water from the stream was poured upon them. The patient crawled in and lay in the cramped space among the dense steam. He remained here for a considerable time and returned to the world in a state of much improved health.
A low hill stands just outside the village of Doon, with the unlikely name “Bottle Hill”. Local legend tells how it got its name. One version says that a family who lived there long ago awoke one morning to find the hill covered with gold (no doubt an act of the fairies who lived in the fort nearby). They went to collect it, but not satisfied with filling their pockets, they left to get some buckets. On returning, to their dismay there was no gold in sight and the hill was covered in bottles. Another version says that bottles were discarded here by pilgrims going to Saint Fintan’s Well.
A priory of Canons regular existed at Toomaline. Here a comunity of regular priests lived and ministered to their flock. The monastery was suppressed in the 16th century and the monks scattered. Most of them went to the continent but some remained among the local people, moving from house to house, keeping the faith alive at the peril of their lives. The monastery itself was renovated and became the home of Marshall’s, landlords in the area in the 19th century. No trace of it exists today.
Many acres of bog land lie in the west part of Doon parish. Turf was cut here for centuries. The road was originally built on top of the bog but as the turf was cut away, the road was left perched precariously above the bog. Many houses along the road had several steps going down to them. It wasn’t until the 1950’s that the Limerick County Council set about lowering the road. Most of the bog is known as Cooga Bog, but College Bog is found near the Glebe, so called after the Erasmus Smith School in. Knocknacarraige. Samuel Lewis “Topographical Dictionary of Ireland” 1837 says “The bog is in the lower part of the parish, is exceedingly valuable and lets at a very high rent; near the close of the last century more than 100 acres of bog moved from one towns land into two others destroying thirteen cabins, the inmates of five of which perished”.
THE WHITE QUARRY
Down through the years quarries were a common sight in every parish all over Ireland. There was big demand for stone as roads, houses and walls were all made of stone and mortar. Many families earned their living and reared their families by quarrying stones at so many pennies and in later years so many shillings per cubic yard.
The best known quarry for miles around Doon was known as the “White Quarry”. This quarry had two types of stone, namely sand stone and pencil stone. The sand stone was of a very good quality and was used in the building of St. Michael’s Church in Tipperary Town, our own church here in Doon and possibly the churches in Kilcommon and Hollyford, it even was shipped to London. The last stones quarries here were used to build our local Allied Irish Bank in the year 1920. Jcrmiah Toohey was the last man to work in this quarry.
THE MONASTERY ROAD
In 1800 the road between the monastery and convent had narrowed down to very inconvenient limits at the place where it entered the main street. On the left was the cemetery – sacred ground not to be encroached upon, on the right was the little strip of land (The site of the old church, a poor thatch covered structure, which was built about 1655 and is now the yard of a garage) which belonged to the Christian Brothers.
Peter presented sufficient ground from the little plot to widen the road to its present dimensions and in return obtained the promise that a footpath and wall would be built at the expense of the county, from the monastery gate to the convent.
The footpath still exists but half of the wall that stood in front of the garage was demolished to give it access.
PUBLIC HOUSES IN DOON; LIMERICK
- CRYSTAL BAR
Main Street, Doon,Co. Limerick.
Phone: 061 380 336
- C O’RIAIN PUB
Main Street, Doon,Co. Limerick.
Phone: 061 380106
- BUCKLEY BAKERS PUB
Upper Main Street, Doon, Co. Limerick.
Phone: 061 380026
- MOORES BAR
Doon, Co. Limerick.
Phone: 061 380167
- THE LOCAL BAR; DOON
Main Street, Doon,Co. Limerick.
Phone: 061 380 168
ST PATRICK’S CHURCH; DOON
Doon, Co. Limerick.
The Parish Church in Doon is situated on an elevated site off the main street nestled against the hills and commanding an amazing view of the countryside. Steps lead up to the Church or it may be accessed by a sloping driveway. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and immaculately maintained. An ornate gate guards the entrance and to the right of this as you look towards the Church is a grotto to Our Lady.
Saturday Evening 6.30pm
Sunday Morning 9am and 11am
Mass times in convent of mercy chapel:
10am each day including Sundays
ST. FINTAN’S GRAVEYARD; DOON
Graveyard Code: LI-DOON (HistoricGraves.com) follow the link here: Doon Historic Graves click here
Location: Doon, Co. Limerick.
GPS: 52 36′ 14.6772″ N 8 14′ 40.3116″ W
THE OLD CHURCH
Doon, Co. Limerick.
Doon Historical Society: www.doonblisce.com
THE PADDY DAKAR
Venue: Doon, Co. Limerick
The Paddy Dakar is an ‘orienteering on motorbikes’ charity event that takes place in and around Slieve Felim and the Silvermines Mountains which straddle counties Limerick and Tipperary.
It is held as a tribute to Irish Dakar Riders past and present who by their participation have demonstrated themselves to be the pinnacle of Off-Road endurance riding.
The Dakar (Formerly the Paris Dakar) is the last rally of its kind in the world and Ireland has had 4 riders finish the Rally, it’s also the most dangerous with 48 deaths since its inception in 1978.
The Paddy Dakar is a weekend event and 2013 will be the fourth time the event has been run. The course is aimed at people who ride adventure bikes and who may not have been in any kind of competition in the past, or have any Off-Road experience.
In short…..it’s going to be orienteering on motorbikes but on off-road conditions with Road Rubber.
- The Tithe Applotment Books 1823-1837.
- Griffiths land Valuation 1847-1864.
- Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1858-1920.
- ROUND ABOUT THE COUNTY OF LIMERICK: BY REV. JAMES DOWD, A.B.,AUTHOR OF LIMERICK AND ITS SIEGES. 1896
- Ireland Census 1901 and 1911 .
- Witness Statements taken from the Bureau of Military History (1913-21) Tipperary and Limerick Statements ONLY.
- Irish Army Census Collection 1922.
- Historic graves including images of headstones.
- One of the best resources available free online is The Family search.org website.