Knockainey is a small village located approximately 22km south of Limerick city and 3.5 km south of the archaeological complex at Lough Gur, in the midst of lush farmland and horse breeding country.
The village takes its name from the conspicuous green hill alongside the village, the hill of Áine. Áine is the name of a Celtic sun goddess and the area is rich in mythology and legend. A number of ancient structures of significant archaeological importance are located on the hill including a hill fort, standing stones, barrows and a cairn. The hill is a significant archaeological site of regional and national importance.
In the centre of the village is a partially ruined 16th century tower house, with an existent spiral staircase. At the cross there is a pretty grotto and to the left is one of the most historical rural churches in the county which is now a cultural centre. The church bell tower dates from circa 1600, and the 19th century church has beautiful stained glass windows, excellent acoustics, 17th century underground vaults and a graveyard containing centuries of mausolea.
St John’s Graveyard, Knockainey is a massive graveyard with hundreds of memorials, which have all been digitally marked and registered on the following website: St John’s Knockainey Historic Graves