Fiadamair “The Great Wood/ Damers Wood”
The medieval parishes of Fedamore and Kilpeacon are now collectively known as Fedamore Parish. Fairs for selling cattle, pigs and horses were held in Fedamore on 5th May and 9th October. Fedamores 19th century school, built in the church grounds, was originally thatched. Later, it was raised to two-storeys and given a slated roof. This closed in 1891, when a new school (now the community centre) was opened.
In the 19th century, unusually large bones were found at a standing stone near Fedamore. Those who found them believed that they belonged to a man who was over two metres in height. This standing stone is on private property.
The strategic hilltop position of Rockstown Castle gave it a commanding view of the countryside and an added defensive advantage over any potential attackers. Probably built in the 15th century, it was held by William Burke in 1583. In 1655, it was owned by George Ingoldsby.
Williamstown Castle is if unusual interest. This is because, in the 1830’s, the architects, James and George Richard Pain, had Williamstown internally refitted in the neo-Gothic style.
Rockstown and Williamstown castles are private property, however, they can be viewed from a number of surrounding roads in the Fedamore area.
FEDAMORE CHURCH, erected in 1830 at a cost of £700, was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. It incorporated parts of an earlier parish chapel, which had stood on the site. The church has an impressive partly plastered ceiling, painted by Mr J. Mahony of Cork, which dates from the late 1920s. Images include a Pelican in Her Piety, a Crown of Thorns and the Agnus Dei. A water font commemorates Rev. Dr John Hanrahan, a parish priest of Fedamore who died in 1774. The Church of Ireland minister who discovered the font on the site of the pre-reformation church, gave it to the Catholic parishioners.
Fedamore graveyard has yet to be surveyed on Historicgraves.com
LIAM CLIFFORD (1876-1949)
President of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) from 1926 to 1928, Liam P Clifford was a native of Fedamore. Under his direction the GAA decided to allocate ten per cent of all gate receipts for grounds development. Consequently, GAA grounds were provided throughout the country. This policy, supported by GAA grant aid, has enabled even the smallest clubs to own their own premises. He is buried in the old Fedamore graveyard.
JOHN FEELY (1901-1968)
A native of Fedamore, John was active in Irelands fight for independence (1919-1921), when he served as a lieutenant in the Mid-Limerick Brigade. Having served time in Limerick, Portland and Dartmoor prisons, in 1922 he returned to run his family farm at Fedamore. John was a founder member of the Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers Association in 1950. He became its national president in 1961. The ICMSA was formed after the Minister for Agriculture, James Dillon TD, announced that he was cutting the price of milk from one-shilling and two-pence, to one-shilling a gallon.
BISHOP PATRICK O’NEILL (1891-1958)
Born at Grange, Fedamore, he was educated locally before becoming a student at Saint Patricks College, Maynooth, in 1908. Ordained in 1915, he was appointed to the staff of Maynooth and held the post of Professor of Moral Theology before becoming Vice-President of the College in 1936. He became bishop in 1945. Bishop O’Neill prepared the ground for the development of Saint Munchins College and moved the Bishops residence to Kilmoyle. A keen athlete in his younger days, the Bishop was an Irish national hurdle champion.