ANGLESBORO “In the Shadow of the Galtees”
Gleann na gCreabhar “Glen of the Woodcocks”
The Galtees consist of many vast mountains thrown together in an assemblage of the most interesting features, from boldness and height of declivities, freedom of outline and variety of parts; filling a space of about six miles by three or four. Galtymore is the highest point, and rises like a lord and father of the surrounding progeny. From the top you look down upon a great extent of mountain, which shelves away to the south, east, and west; but to the north, the ridge is almost a perpendicular declivity.
Arthur Young, English Travel Writer, 1777
Anglesboro is the highest village on the rugged picturesque range of the Galtee Mountains. It is a relatively small community with one shop to service the local population. Anglesboro is the home of great Irish nationalists, scholars and idealists. A plaque on the wall of the community centre celebrates its strong rebel traditions. The Anglesboro Pipe Band is one of the Irelands best-known pipe bands. The area around Anglesboro is rich in history, culture and archaeology. A plaque on the wall of the community centre celebrates its strong rebel traditions. The Anglesboro Pipe Band is one of the Irelands best-known pipe bands. Anglesboros most famous son was General Liam Lynch , Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army, March 1922-April 1923. He was born at Barnagurraha and went to school at Anglesboro National School. As a leading general in the War of Independence, he opposed the Anglo-Irish Treaty on the grounds that it dis-established the Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916 and assumed the position of Chief-of-Staff of the anti-treaty IRA called the Irregulars. He was shot and killed by Free State troops in the Knockmealdown Mountains in County Tipperary on 10 April 1923. His death was seen by many as the event which ended the civil war.
Anglesboro has yet to be digitally surveyed on Historicgraves.com
TEAMPAILÁN “Temple Hill”
From the village, on a clear day, a mound of stones can be seen on the top of TeampailÃn, the majestic peak (785 metres high) that overlooks Anglesboro. Folklore gives contradictory accounts of what happened on this site in prehistoric times. One story claims that it was a burial cairn for the local chieftains, while another story says that it was a druidic place of worship to the sun-god.
One of the most prominent figures during the Irish War of Independence (1919-1921) and Civil War (1922-24) was General Liam Lynch, who was born in Anglesboro in 1893. Trained in Mitchelstown as a hardware apprentice, he joined the Irish Volunteers and during the War of Independence became Commandant (commanding officer) of the Cork No.2 Brigade of the Irish Republican Army.
Lynchs determination and skill saw him rapidly promoted to membership of the Supreme Council of the Irish Republican Brotherhood and thereby becoming an influential figure in Irelands independence movement. He opposed the Anglo-Irish Treaty which maintained Irelands position within the British Empire, but granted the country Free State status and, as time would show, the ability to achieve complete independence.
On 22 June 1922, General Lynch assumed command of the 1st Southern Division of the IRA, and on 30 June he announced his appointment as Chief of Staff of the IRA, which was then involved in a military struggle against the newly established Irish Free State. Despite early gains, the IRA grew increasingly weak and execution of Republican prisoners by the Free State Government undermined the growing weakness of the IRA position.
In April 1923, Lynch was on his way to Cork, crossing the Knockmealdown Mountains, when he was intercepted by Free State troops. He was shot and killed in the skirmish. A roadside monument can be seen near his birthplace on the Anglesboro to Lisvernane road.
“Alas he sleeps, this humble chief
In Kilgullanes lonely grave,
That hero brave who fought his way
To emancipate the slave.
His memory will be honoured and a monument will rise,
To tell the fame of Condon bold, who led the Mountain boys.”
William (Willie) Condons memorial cross at Kilgullane graveyard, near Mitchelstown, records that he was a humble working man but a sterling Nationalist and a firm believer in the principles of the men of 1798, 1848 and 1867.
Born in 1840, he was a prominent local nationalist who ran a prosperous shoe-making business in Anglesboro. During the 1880s and 1890s, when tenant farmers throughout Ireland were fighting a campaign for fair rents and fixity of tenure, Condon led hundreds of men from Anglesboro to numerous Land League rallies. His funeral, in 1908, was attended by 25,000 people.
DONNCHA OHANNIGAN (1887-1962)
A plaque on a bridge on the road from Anglesboro to Kilbehenny commemorates the life and achievements of Major General Donnchada OHannigan, who led the East Limerick Brigade of the IRA during the War of Independence. O’Hannigan developed the concept of Flying Columns Active Service Units trained to undertake short sharp ambushes against British forces. He commanded a significant number of attacks against occupying forces, including engagements at Emly (County Tipperary); Bruree, Shraherla and Kildorrery (County Cork); Ballinahinch, Knocklong, Grange, Glennacurrane, Dromkeen and Kilfinane (County Limerick). After Independence in 1921, OHannigan became a key figures in establishing the Irish Defence Forces, during which time he rose to the rank of Major General. He dedicated his life to healing the divisions of the Civil War. Later, he took up a civilian position with the Department of Defence.
The Massy family were prominent landlords in Limerick from their arrival in the county during the middle of the 17th century until the late 19th century. Their total Irish land holdings came to 39,000 hectares, of which 3,500 hectares were at Duntrileague, near Galbally, from which they later took the title of Baron Massy of Duntrileague. This estate was the focus of agitation during the Land War of the 1880’s and was eventually broken up and sold off to its tenants. Massy Lodge, also called Paradise Lodge (as it is on the side of Paradise Hill) was built as a summer residence and hunting lodge by Hugh, first Baron Massy of Duntryleague, in 1776. Due to financial problems the lodge and 130 acres of land were sold in 1913. It is now a private residence.
THE WOODCOCK “An Creabhar”
The Woodcock is a resident of the Anglesboro area, when it is usually seen at dust or after sunset as it flies out of woodlands to feed on scrub and marsh areas. It uses its long sensitive bill to probe mud for worms and invertebrates. During the daytime, its heavily-barred mottled red-brown colouring gives it perfect camouflage for hiding in dead vegetation on the edge of the woods.